How to enable Automatic Evaluation in an Escalation Rule
Automatic Evaluations enable Escalation Rules to trigger automatically instead of waiting on a manual execution by a user. By default, an Escalation Rule will NOT perform Automatic Evaluation, so this is enabled on a per Escalation Rule basis.
This KB assumes you have already enabled the required webhook that notifies Rocketship of new/updated tickets. If not, refer to the KB Create Autotask Ticket Callout Webhook.
- Open your Escalation Rule in Rocketship Admin.
- Go to Automatic Evaluation Policy (refer to screenshot).
- Set Enable Automatic Evaluation to: YES
- Set When Status Changes To…: <trigger status>
- Click Save
Understanding the Status Changes To Field
This is an important field to understand how Automatic Evaluation works. To ensure Escalation Rules don’t fire every time a ticket is created/updated (which would lead to unintended escalations), the Automatic Evaluation requires that a ticket be sent to a specific Ticket Status.
For example, let’s say that you want the Default rule to trigger after a ticket is triaged. You have the ticket statuses New and Pre-Process. When a ticket is triaged, the tech sets the ticket to the ticket status Pre-Process and closes the window. The following process will occur:
- Autotask will notify Rocketship of the update via the webhook mentioned above.
- Rocketship will review any Escalation Rules with Automatic Evaluation enabled.
- Of those, it will refine the list to ONLY those where When Status Changes To.. is equal to “Pre-Process”.
- Of those, it runs an Escalation Rule competition to find the winning rule, and then it runs that.
- If an Escalation Rule is not found for any reason, Rocketship does nothing.