It is a well-known fact that over 90% of security breaches are caused by human error. When applied to a business setting that means employees pose a security threat – usually in the form of poor security practices. Employee lax behaviors act as a catalyst for potential cyberthreats within an organization and can put a company at risk.
Here are 5 common ways employees pose a security threat:
- Poor password hygiene. One weak employee password may not seem like much of a threat, but when the numbers multiply it provides multiple entry points to hackers. In addition, using the same password for multiple accounts or sharing passwords with co-workers also contributes to security exposures.
- Shared access to important files. Speaking of sharing, when shared company files are not password protected it leaves them open as a gateway to potential threats. Also when files are circulated among several users, it increases the risk of document tampering and inaccurate versioning.
- Poor documentation practices. Employees who rely on manual documentation creates more room for error and puts data at risk. Lack of rules for accessing data and critical documents from network sources also contributes to data vulnerability.
- Creating personal accounts with company login. Unfortunately a number of employees reuse their personal passwords for company accounts with many accessing sensitive data while working from home. Doing the same with unauthorized or unsafe websites can result in data loss and damage to the company’s safety.
- Disregard for security measures and training. Many employees do not believe that security policies apply to their role in the company therefore are lax about participating in security training. Some employees even ignore VPN security solutions and data backup plans out of sheer incomprehension or neglect.
MSPs can use these employee traits to their advantage by offering password management, documentation storage and security training solutions to improve their position in the industry and gain credibility.
Want to Automate your MSP? Schedule a demo or sign up for a free trial to see how Rocketship for Autotask can automate your calendars, escalations and ticket assignments, allowing you to focus on what really matters – helping your clients, not micromanaging tickets.